"Neurobehavioral Effects" and Mental Illness

General Discussion-Camp Lejeune Water Contamination

"Neurobehavioral Effects" and Mental Illness

Postby dandelioness347 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Neurobehavioral effects are the only acknowledged toxic-water caused illness(es) that are not a specified diagnosis.

I find this very strange as it has left thousands to wonder if their neurological or so-called mood disorders are in fact included. (A few on this board *have* had their depression claims approved for Camp Lejeune disability).

I did some digging and wanted to share that there is a history of research (several studies) going back to the 60's indicating that PCE and TCE can cause lasting mood dysfunction, anxiety, and some cognitive issues (the list is long). I haven't even started on benzene.

But, more importantly, there is also a very credible study done in 2012 linking childhood exposure to PCE to adult onset of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. The part of the community (Cape Cod) impacted by the toxin had TWICE the incidence of those illnesses than the population not exposed.

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/news/newslette ... ing-water/

Which is to say you may well have a case. Don't be told otherwise. Try not to let stigma prevent you from speaking up. (I understand though - I don't feel safe putting my diagnosis on the internet). A lot is at stake here.

Be prepared, however, for a number of attorneys listed here (I am planning to file suit and have been making calls) to treat you with skepticism and I'm sorry to say, stigma. Particularly the Bell Group - who ironically, is one of the only firms that will seriously consider your case.

Good luck!

I'll try to post info about those other studies when I can.
dandelioness347

Re: "Neurobehavioral Effects" and Mental Illness

Postby dandelioness347 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:22 pm

To be clear.

I am the daughter of a career (25+ years) Marine.

I was conceived on Camp Lejeune and exposed to toxins in utero for the first three months of my life and then again from 3-6 yrs old.

I developed debilitating neurological disorders/mental illnesses - for which there is no family history - that have had a devastating impact on my life.

I'm pissed that no one seems to be standing up for us. And will not see this silenced.
dandelioness347

Postby Michael Glenn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:40 pm

I am Jeff, my folks write for me due to being blind. However, we have health issues in common with the neurobehavioral effects. Born there in 1979. Have been fighting with the others here for years. Please call me because my dad has to do this writing. 828-713-9188
Jeff Glenn
Michael Glenn

Postby motherof5 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:04 pm

It's funny I was coming here to ask questions in regards to what I'm seeing posted! My father was posted and I was a child on base and have ended up with illnesses that do not run in my family. My sister and mother were there as well, all of us have had to have hysterectomies, noone before us had the problems that prompted them, I developed fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, cluster migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, my sister has developed problems similar as well. I have a child that developed a nasal cancer, a daughter with chronic illnesses, none of which run in either family. I truly believe that the exposure to the chemicals is responsible!! I ingested and bathed in the water, soaking up and ingesting the chemicals and it would reason that since women are born with the eggs they will use through their child bearing years could some of mine have been "contaminated"? I have lost a life a loved, I am no longer able to work and some days unable to get out of bed. I think someone needs to realize the things that have happened to us due to these chemicals. Thank you for reading!
motherof5

Postby John Olin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm

This thread has some info and background. There links at the bottom describing diagnoses likely to be included. viewtopic.php?t=2261

Though it is not a recognized diagnosis, the "Neurobehavioral Effects" language in the Camp Lejeune healthcare law seems to have originated from the early study of "Neurotoxicity" and "Organic Solvent Syndrome"

Watching Paint Dry: Organic Solvent Syndrome in late-Twentieth-Century Britain
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472097/
John Olin

Postby unclebuzzkill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello dandelioness 347,

“I'm pissed that no one seems to be standing up for us.”

So be the one that stands up!

Dennis
unclebuzzkill

Postby dandelioness347 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Michael Glenn wrote:I am Jeff, my folks write for me due to being blind. However, we have health issues in common with the neurobehavioral effects. Born there in 1979. Have been fighting with the others here for years. Please call me because my dad has to do this writing. 828-713-9188
Jeff Glenn

Thanks Jeff! I will be in touch soon.
dandelioness347

Postby dandelioness347 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:33 pm

motherof5 wrote:It's funny I was coming here to ask questions in regards to what I'm seeing posted! My father was posted and I was a child on base and have ended up with illnesses that do not run in my family. My sister and mother were there as well, all of us have had to have hysterectomies, noone before us had the problems that prompted them, I developed fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, cluster migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, my sister has developed problems similar as well. I have a child that developed a nasal cancer, a daughter with chronic illnesses, none of which run in either family. I truly believe that the exposure to the chemicals is responsible!! I ingested and bathed in the water, soaking up and ingesting the chemicals and it would reason that since women are born with the eggs they will use through their child bearing years could some of mine have been "contaminated"? I have lost a life a loved, I am no longer able to work and some days unable to get out of bed. I think someone needs to realize the things that have happened to us due to these chemicals. Thank you for reading!

I'm so sorry to hear how you and your family have suffered. I am not familiar with those conditions so I can only recommend that you do what I've been told to do - file an SF-95. Google it.
dandelioness347

Postby dandelioness347 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm

John Olin wrote:This thread has some info and background. There links at the bottom describing diagnoses likely to be included. viewtopic.php?t=2261

Though it is not a recognized diagnosis, the "Neurobehavioral Effects" language in the Camp Lejeune healthcare law seems to have originated from the early study of "Neurotoxicity" and "Organic Solvent Syndrome"

Watching Paint Dry: Organic Solvent Syndrome in late-Twentieth-Century Britain
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472097/

Interesting, thanks! There is a long history of the government agencies tasked with monitoring the effects of these chemicals listing mood dysfunction under the "neurological effects" segments of their papers. It's commonly known and accepted by area experts.

Depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, and PTSD are in fact, diseases of the brain. It does not get more "nuerobehavioral" than that.

For those, like me, who were in the womb drinking and breathing toxins when their brain was developing - it is incredibly important to educate yourselves about the potential impact.
dandelioness347

Postby dandelioness347 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:17 pm

unclebuzzkill wrote:Hello dandelioness 347,

“I'm pissed that no one seems to be standing up for us.”

So be the one that stands up!

Dennis

Please know that was not aimed at anyone here. I meant lawyers. Few will even listen. And there is a pretty clear link already acknowledged (albeit vaguely) by the government.

This is me standing up. I will continue to do so as my health permits. All of this is a recent discovery (I dug deep) and it has frightening implications. Wish I could "unknow" it.
dandelioness347

Return to The Few, The Proud, The Forgotten